Friday, May 29, 2015

Matt Byron: Next Time I'll Know

A good portion of my younger years were spent listening to artists like Death In June,
Foetus, Bauhaus, and others. This was not just a phase - it continues to this day, and I keep seeking out new artists that have a similar quality.

So when Matt Byron's Sleep and Dream of Monsters popped up on my radar, it quickly rose to the top of my playlist.

 
The industrial beat, combined with the electronic rock music and vocals have had this track on heavy rotation at home, at work, and everywhere else.
 
Matt Byron just released a 4 track EP, Next Time I'll Know, available on Amazon, Google Play, and JunoDownload.
 
If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know I like new artists. You all should get this album (it's under $5, so it's not going to break your coffee budget). Even if you can't pick it up, let your friends know about it, because the odds are pretty good that they'll enjoy Matt Byron's music.

My favorite track off of the EP right now is Tylenol & Gasoline, which strikes en excellent balance between digital composition and some great analog synth sounds. Your first inclination will be to dance (and you should), and it has a catchy sound that will grab you like Human League songs did (back in the day), but with lyrics that are well thought out, smart, and will have you appreciating Matt Byron - not just for his composition talents, but for adding lyrical depth and dimension you rarely see these days.
 
Remember: Artists have a lot to offer, but they cannot afford to keep producing new and amazing tracks without people buying their music. Considering Matt is not beholden to a major label, managers, and all the bureaucracy involved in all of that, you can feel good that the majority of what your spending is actually reaching the artist.
 
So do it! Go get a copy of Next Time I'll Know now! You won't regret it!

I had the chance to interview Matt Byron, and he answered a few questions for me:

Tersichore: What moved you to music instead of, say, financial statistics?

Matt Byron: Funny you ask that specific question. I grew up playing in bands but after (I dropped out) of college, I spent a few years working at a couple management consulting and financial analysis firms. I had to learn the hard way that music is really all there is, or ever was for me. Sounds dark, but it's a good thing.

T: How long have you been doing this?

MB: Drums, about 28 years. The rest--(singing, keys, programming) for about a year and a half.

T: I really liked the video to Sleep and Dream of Monsters – do you also produce your own videos?

MB: No, I had to enlist help on that one. Video was done by Rich, the owner of Tru Studios in London. They have done some of my mastering and we ended throwing together an idea for a video.

T: I'm not going to ask about your influences (because everyone asks that), but who are you listening to when you're not making music?

MB: Definitely a weird selection lately. Nirvana, TV on The Radio, NIN, The Chromatics, Amy Winehouse, Jawbreaker, Portishead, and Petit Noir. Led Zeppelin...Fleetwood Mac--Oh, and The Good Fellas Soundtrack.

T: Plans for the future?

MB: Trying to get a live set and full band organized so I can get this show on the road, literally.

T: If you wanted to impress something on your listeners (or the readers of this article) what would it be?

MB: Gotta keep your head up because you never know what the future holds. Also, don't take advice from musicians.

T: Other than your YouTube channel, where else can fans find you?

MB: Soundcloud rocks. Just sayin'.
https://soundcloud.com/matt-byron-2
https://open.spotify.com/album/7cCtjJze0wvbFTJUXbixYE

No comments:

Post a Comment