Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Suburban Vermin: Headless Over Heels

It's not often that I get a chance to review punk bands, which is why I've been chomping at the bit to write this article about Suburban Vermin.

For some background: I grew up in New Jersey when Glenn Danzig was in The Misfits and The Ramones were playing public access shows on The Uncle Floyd Show (and let's not forget Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics). In the 90s, I was in Philly and going to see bands like The Fiendz, 7 Seconds, Weston, Face To Face, Blanks '77, and Submachine. Once the 2000s hit, finding decent punk music was very difficult.

After listening to Seattle-based Suburban Vermin, I can say punk is back. Not 3-chord power pop. I'm talking full sneer, padlock n' chain necklace, lace up your boots, you haven't had fun unless you left the show with a few bruises-style punk.


Do you hear that? We NEED more of this!

With their upcoming album, Headless Over Heels, the frenetic pace is non-stop, from the eponymous track to their cover of 4 Non-Blondes' "What's Up." Suburban Vermin don't try to be anything other than what they present, and you can neither deny nor ignore that punk never left, once you hear the fast tempo, crunching chords, and rasping vocals that evoke archetypical street-level punk in all its steel-toed majesty.

You can check out Suburban Vermin over on their official site, and you can keep up with the latest news, show dates, and album info over on their YouTube channel, Facebook PageTwitter, and Instagram

I was lucky enough to interview Suburban Vermin - Amanda Gamino (Vocals/Guitar) and Jason Vermin (Vocals/Bass):

AG - Amanda Gamino - Vocals/Guitar
JV - Jason Vermin - Vocals/Bass


What moved you to music instead of, say, financial statistics?
AG: Well we aren't the traditional musicians with a big heart and a dream who quit their jobs to live in the car until they make it or can't afford gas anymore. Jason and I both have day jobs, because the bills have to get paid, but don't get me wrong.. this isn't just a hobby, we have hopes and dreams to making it big so we can call this our day job!
JV: Free beer. Or discounted beer.

How long have you been doing this?
AG: Ive been in the band since 2008, so ive spent 7 years of my life dedicated to this band and I enjoy every minute of it.
JV: There was a very short period of time before Amanda joined the band. It wasn’t very good.

I'm not going to ask about your influences (because everyone asks that), but who are you listening to when you're not making music? 
JV: I have a hard time listening to full songs let alone albums so short, fast stuff like the Ramones is always good. My favorite bands are They Might Be Giants, Nerf Herder and The Clash. I also really enjoy everything Buddy Holly ever did, The Mountain Goats, Pulp, Young Fresh Fellows, Alkaline Trio, The Buzzcocks, Cheap Trick, Doug and The Slugs, Pain, Social Distortion and Prince’s Batman soundtrack.
AG: I love listening to heavy, loud, screaming music like Lamb of God, Slayer, Asking Alexandria, but I also listen to some Kpop and the classic stuff like GnR, Led Zepplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Plans for the future?
AG: LONG TERM GOAL.. GET A RECORD DEAL THAT WILL PAY US ENOUGH TO QUIT WORKING! haha , BUT for short term, go on tour, play more shows, get our name out in the world as far as we can!
JV: Long Term, I definitely agree that I’d like to be able to support myself and any future family purely on music. I’m not sure in the future a record label’s gonna be the way to do that, but I’d like to think we’d be able to adapt. I really just want to play in as many basements and enormo-stadiums that’ll have us.

If you wanted to impress something on your listeners (or the readers of this article) what would it be?
 AG: That we aren't that douchey band who sounds just like all the others on the radio. We are loud, not really punk, but most definitely not pop, and really enjoy making and playing music for people...ALSO we would love to drink with you!
JV: This is tough. I guess, always practice safe sex, don’t drive drunk, respect people no matter their gender or sexuality (or lack of), race and religion (or lack of), including yourself and please buy our record/comic book or we will starve.

*******

In closing, you NEED to pick up Headless Over Heels when it comes out. Fantastic bands don't make this stuff for free, and if you want them to continue making stuff (like I do) you should buy their music. If you can't do that, then at least spread the word to your friends so that they can pitch some money their way. Label scouts? If you're reading this (and I know a few of you do), get Suburban Vermin a contract! I want to hear what they can make if they have the time and funds to focus solely on the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment