Thursday, July 30, 2015

Backstruck

Punk & hardcore never went away, you just have to know where to look. I remember living in Pennsylvania - traveling all over the state to catch Submachine shows, and (a few years later) going up the East Coast to watch Pig Destroyer, and hanging out after A.C. shows with Seth Putnam (and his mom). Moving to Austin didn't really leave me with much access to live punk bands (that, and the music scene had shifted to more 3-chord power pop bands in that city), so I've been searching online for something to take me back to those small, cramped venues that were packed with people, and the energy could power a small country.

Enter Backstruck.


Backstruck is the brainchild of Ryan Mincey, and is hardcore punk in the vein of '68 and The Ghost Inside. That is to say, Backstruck has the sound that the music scene needs and has needed for years.

Check out the track Broken Shell.

That - like Backstruck's other songs - are exposed raw nerves - an agitation that cannot be kept inside any longer, an outpouring of what makes us human, that very few acknowledge.

If you want to keep up with Backstruck to get the latest released tracks and any upcoming gigs, check out their Facebook page. I look forward to hearing more from Backstruck, and if they start going shows, it will be a great excuse to drive back to my old stomping grounds to see them.


1 comment:

  1. I like your writing style. I may have some reviews for you to do. Contact me at indiebandguru@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete